Monday, 20 August 2007

'I feared they'd molest my wife'

20/08/2007 08:35 - (SA)

Alet van Zyl, Beeld

Pretoria - A man who apparently had to wait next to a highway for Volkswagen's tow-in service for more than an hour after his car's engine failed, is in hospital after two armed robbers shot him in both thighs.

Louis de Nysschen, 42, from Muldersdrift on the West Rand, said the engine of his VW Caddy, which had done 17 000km, cut out near the R57 exit from the N1-highway to Bloemfontein at about 19:00 on Friday.

He and his wife, Sorelda, apparently immediately called Volkswagen's emergency back-up service and asked for help.

After they had been waiting for a long time, two men appeared next to their windows.

"One man hit the windscreen with a gun and demanded that I unlock the doors," said De Nuysschen.

"He shot me the moment I had unlocked the door."

Nick Dollman, a spokesperson for Netcare 911, said the bullet went through De Nysschen's one thigh and got lodged in his other thigh.

"When they started touching my wife, I feared that they would indecently assault her. I threw myself onto her and somehow managed to close the other door."

"The men again shouted that I must open the door, but I managed to start the car.

"We travelled about 2km before the engine cut out again," said De Nysschen.

Bill Stephens, Volkswagen's spokesperson, was unable to say why the emergency service failed to get to De Nysschen sooner.

He said Volkswagen would investigate and comment on Monday.

To make matters worse, robbers had also broken into the De Nysschen's home in Muldersdrift while they were gone.

Source:News24
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2167753,00.html

Vir meer artikels, raadpleeg asseblief die argiewe en soekenjin in die sykolom.
For more articles, please use the archives section or search engine in the sidebar.