Wednesday, 3 October 2007

'How do you recover?'

Amanda Swart is struggling to cope with her ordeal. (Alet Pretorius, Beeld)

03/10/2007 08:47 - (SA)

Hilda Fourie, Beeld

Pretoria - Robbers who attacked Amanda Swart, 50, in the early morning at her house on a smallholding west of Pretoria, hit her over the head with a stone and threatened to rape her.

While blood ran down her face early on Sunday, one of the robbers stroked her cheek.

He said she must give him firearms and money, or she would be raped.

"I sat there in my nightie. I felt naked and helpless," said Swart as she wiped the tears from her cheeks.

Stabbed

After the robbers plundered her home, one of them stabbed her in the forehead with a knife. She had to have five stitches.

"What did I do wrong? I didn't hurt anyone. I was just sleeping," she said.

Swart, a men's hairdresser, got into bed at about 20:00 on Saturday night with a migraine.

She said the robbers entered through the lounge window. She did not hear anything.

"At about 00:30 there were three men in my room. One hit me over the head with a stone as big as a halfbrick. I started bleeding."

"One of the others brought me a towel to stop the blood. He stroked my cheek and said if I didn't give them money and guns, he'd rape me."

"His face was here next to mine. I was looking into his eyes when he said that to me. They found my purse and took my rent and food money.

"I don't even have any money to buy food for the children. The bit of money I had, they took."

The robbers tied her hands and walked off. One of them returned and slashed her with a knife.

They fled through the window. Swart called her daughter, who lives 25m from her, and her daughter called the police.

"How does one recover from something like that?"

"My son Marius, 32, had his leg amputated in August. After everything I've been through, why didn't they just rob the house? Why did they have to hurt me?"

Source:News24
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2194715,00.html

Vir meer artikels, raadpleeg asseblief die argiewe en soekenjin in die sykolom.
For more articles, please use the archives section or search engine in the sidebar.