Monday, 31 March 2008

Bullet passes through mom, girl

31/03/2008 08:47 - (SA)

Virginia Keppler, Beeld

Pretoria - When robbers broke into their house and fired a shot at a mother and daughter the bullet went through both - but the mom didn't realise it until later when she saw lots of blood.

When the robbers broke into their home in Rooihuiskraal, Centurion, the woman tried to hide her daughter, but they were shot. Her unborn son was unharmed.

Thirty-year-old Cliëster Stanley, who is seven months pregnant, was shot in her left breast.

The same bullet that hit her, went into the chest of her three-year-old daughter, Dannica, broke a rib, and hit her right lung before coming out through her shoulder.

The family was held up by four armed robbers for nearly two hours while they ransacked the house.

Ran in and fired a shot

Dannica is being treated in the intensive-care unit of Unitas Hospital in Centurion.

She began breathing by herself on Sunday afternoon, after having been on a ventilator since Saturday.

Cliëster's husband, Jason, 29, was lying on the floor powerless, with his hands and feet tied behind his back during the robbery.

"There was nothing that I could do. I was tied up," he said on Sunday.

According to Jason, the robbers bent open the burglar bars outside their dining room window about 01:00 and climbed through the window.

"They ran into our bedroom, switched on the light and fired a shot."

"I jumped up, but the robbers tackled me on to the bed so that I was lying on my stomach and then they tied up my hands and feet," he said.

Cliëster said it had been like a dream for her at first.

"I have had dreams about people breaking into our house."

Dannica, who had crawled into her parents' bed in the night, began crying loudly.

Cliëster said: "When they grabbed Jason, I thought they wanted to grab my baby and I grabbed her and pushed her under my left side to hide her.

"They fired again, but I didn't realise that Dannica and I had been hit."

Repeatedly hit her husband

"It was only some time later that I got a burning feeling in my chest and then I saw the blood."

She said the robbers had talked softly and kept saying that the family should not look at them. They also told Cliëster to shush Dannica.

They also repeatedly hit Jason on his hands and feet.

The robbers stole various electrical appliances, cellphones, wallets, jewellery and shoes.

They put everything in the Stanley's silver Nissan Hardbody (registration number VKB 060 GP).

"Jason undressed Dannica to get rid of the bloody clothes, but still did not see that she had been shot.

"Only once he picked her up, did he see the bullet wound in her shoulder," said Cliëster.

Source:News24
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2297026,00.html

Vir meer artikels, raadpleeg asseblief die argiewe en soekenjin in die sykolom.
For more articles, please use the archives section or search engine in the sidebar.