Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Fifteen years for teen who attacked farmer

July 20 2009 at 12:45PM

By Sherlissa Peters

A teenager who took part in a robbery that left a 79-year-old farmer badly beaten and traumatised was sentenced to an effective 15 years imprisonment on Friday.

Pietermaritzburg High Court Judge Anton van Zyl, sentenced Fusi Booi, 19, who was 17 years old when the robbery was committed, to 15 years and ordered that he may only be considered for parole after having served eight years.

Booi's co-perpetrators, Letsitsi Tammo and Nkosinathi Mgobozi, both 24, were sentenced to an effective 30 years each at the Ramsgate High Court for their roles in the attack on Cedarville farmer David Southey.

Southey was attacked at his Winterfold Farm in 2007 and survived a brutal and vicious onslaught by the three men.

He was stabbed several times, gagged, bound with barbed wire and left to suffer in minus-degree temperatures, but his will to survive kept him alive until he was discovered and taken to hospital.

Booi pleaded guilty to robbery with aggravating circumstances and kidnapping.

Van Zyl said Booi received a lesser sentence because he had been the youngest attacker and did not commit the acts of "gratuitous violence" against Southey, but was a bystander.

State prosecutor Dernado MacDonald said six of seven firearms stolen from Southey had been recovered. Southey's stolen Isuzu bakkie was returned bullet-ridden.

Jewellery worth R100 000 has not been recovered.

This article was originally published on page 2 of Daily News on July 20, 2009

Source:IOL
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20090720113812925C952599

Vir meer artikels, raadpleeg asseblief die argiewe en soekenjin in die sykolom.
For more articles, please use the archives section or search engine in the sidebar.