Saturday, 31 March 2007

Robbery victims strike back after 'invasion'

March 30 2007 at 04:39AM

By Barry Bateman

Two victims of an armed attack that left an elderly man critically injured tracked down one of their suspected assailants and subdued him using the same metal rod with which the elderly man had been attacked.

Police arrested that suspect and one of his accomplices near the house where the armed robbery took place.

The family, who do not want to be named, described how five men, two armed with firearms and three with knives, repeatedly stabbed and beat the 70-year-old man in his home in Faerie Glen on Wednesday night.

The man, his wife, their nephew and one of his friends were at home watching TV after dinner when the suspects attacked at about 7.45pm. The nephew said the security gate was locked and the front gate closed, but the garage door was open.

"My uncle went to the garage to close the door when the men attacked him.

"Without warning they hit him on the arm with a metal rod," he said. The man's upper left arm was shattered by the blow.

The nephew said that within seconds the men were in the house, pointing firearms and ordering the people inside to the floor. "My uncle panicked, so they stabbed him and beat him."

The suspects ransacked the house, taking cellphones and jewellery before fleeing.

The nephew said he and his friend then set out to find the suspects.

"We got into the bakkie and headed towards Atterbury Road, where we saw one of the suspects walking with a bag."

The nephew said they pursued the man on foot until they caught up with him.

"He turned around and pulled out a knife. He lunged at me and stabbed me in the arm," he said. They subdued the attacker with the same rod that had been used to assault his uncle.

LifeMed Ambulance Services paramedic Willie Lightfoot, along with Netcare 911 paramedics, treated the elderly man, who also suffered two cuts to the head, a cut to the chest and one to his leg.

Pretoria East hospital marketing manager Ronel Leyds said the patient went into theatre on Thursday and was in a stable condition.

Police spokesperson Inspector Paul Ramaloko said two suspects, aged 25 and 27, were arrested.


No comments: