Tuesday, 30 October 2007

Man beaten to death for U-turn

30/10/2007 07:35 - (SA)

Sarie van Niekerk, Beeld

Delmas - A man who was allegedly beaten up badly by a group of policemen on Thursday night after making a U-turn on the N12 highway, died of his injuries two days later.

Koos Myburgh, 51, of Upington was allegedly assaulted at about 00:30 on Thursday night when between four and six policemen forced him to stop between the Groenfontein and Balmoral exits, on the section between Delmas and Ogies, after he had made a U-turn and driven his truck on the wrong side of the road.

His daughter Rina Kirsten of Bloemfontein said Myburgh told his wife Rina on Saturday about the incident, and said when he had been unable to stop the massive truck immediately after the police had ordered him to stop, they fired several shots at his vehicle.

He told his wife that as soon as he got out of the truck, the police started assaulting him, and they "didn't want to listen to reason".

In a lot of pain

Two bullet holes in the left door of the truck bore silent witness to the incident on Monday.

"My father said he was suffering from terrible pain. He said his ribs and his insides were hurting very badly."

"He said the doctor had given him painkillers and that he was going to shower and lie down. He was very confused and emotional. He was crying when he spoke to my mother and was very shocked about what had happened."

She said it was the last time that any of them had spoken to him.

They heard on Sunday morning that her father had died in his room in a guesthouse where he was staying until another driver from Upington could fetch him in Delmas to take him home.

Myburgh was en route to a farm near Delmas to collect a load of chicken manure.

A young man at the farm, who preferred not to be named, said Myburgh had said on Saturday morning that he'd unfortunately missed the turnoff to the farm, and wanted to make a U-turn.

"When he was here on Saturday morning he was tired, he complained of internal pain and said his left ribs were hurting badly."

"He was struggling to breathe. He said he had a terrible pain in his stomach. He was also vomiting. There were marks on his face. We took him to the doctor and the local hospital, where he was given painkillers and sent home. So we took him to the guesthouse."

The badly traumatised and emotional young man said when he went to the guesthouse at about 20:30, Myburgh was dead.

He had not touched two plates of food (breakfast and lunch) in his room.


No comments: