Sunday, 14 October 2007

Second stab wakes up man

10/10/2007 23:09 - (SA)

Sanri van Wyk, Beeld

Johannesburg - A Northwold, Johannesburg man woke up early on Wednesday and says it felt as if someone was beating him, only to discover he had been stabbed twice in the chest with a knife.

Businessman Athol Tressider, 49, is recuperating in the Netcare Olivedale Clinic after he and his family were attacked in the early hours of Wednesday by three knife-wielding robbers in their Elnita Street, Northwold home.

Police spokesperson Karen Jacobs said the attack had begun at about 02:15.

The men apparently gained access to the house through a gap in the burglar bars in front of an open window.

Tressider said from his hospital bed on Wednesday afternoon that he woke up because it felt like someone was punching him.

Alarm went off

"I then realised that I had twice been stabbed with a knife."

His wife Jenny, daughter Aimee,13, and son Kairan, 10, were tied up with ties and belts in Aimee's room.

"They tied me up and I thought they were planning to finish me off. However, they dragged me to the rest of my family."

Tressider said the children were allowed to lie under a blanket on the floor, while he and his wife were left on the bed.

The alarm went off as the men moved through the passages to plunder the house.

"The security company phoned to hear if everything was OK.

"The men told my wife to say everything was fine.

In the process of freeing Jenny to answer the phone, the men "accidentally" cut her and she had to receive ten stitches.

The robbers locked the door of the room in which the family was lying trussed up.

They left with goods valued at R200 000, including valuable jewellery, the couple's wedding rings, electronic equipment, a TV set and a computer. Everything was loaded into the family's green VW Polo and the robbers sped off in it.

"Aimee managed to wriggle free, crawled through the window to the other rooms and summoned the security company."

Netcare 911 spokesperson Mark Stokoe said the ambulance service had been summoned at about 05:00 and Tressider was taken to hospital.


No comments: